Below is our guide to the GOC's new enhanced CET scheme, which began on 1 January 2013. You will find a summary of the main requirements and information on how we can help you obtain your points while getting the most out of your continuing professional development.
New CET requirements Download PDF Guide CET Grant Information
- · gain 36 points over the three-year cycle from 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2015
- · gain at least six points a year
- · gain at least half of your general points through interactive learning, which involves some sort of communication with your peers or experts. This can include distance learning which features an interactive element, for example discussion forums or webinars
- · take part in at least one peer review or discussion during the three years (you will gain three points for taking part in and reflecting on such a session)
- · gain points in all eight optometry competency units during the three-year cycle
- · complete your CET within the three-year cycle – there will be no automatic shortfall period.
- If you are a therapeutic specialist optometrist, you must also gain 18 points from therapeutics specialist CET activities at a rate of six a year.
More interactivity = more points
To encourage interactive CET, the number of points will increase depending on how interactive the activity is. For example, attending a workshop at Optometry Tomorrow will gain three points, while a lecture at a College regional event or answering a set of multiple-choice questions on an article in Optometry in Practice will be worth one point.
CET Guide for Optometrists 2013-2015